Thursday, September 5, 2019

Oil Paint Without Solvents

Oil Paint Without Solvents

I love the way oil paints handle and the depth of the color, but I am very sensitive to mineral spirits and mediums so I was thrilled to realize I can use oil paints without any solvents.  

Murphy oil is actually an excellent brush cleaner.  Just mix it with water in equal parts.  It is good for your brushes, too.  Just don't let bristle brushes stay in it for any length of time.  Wash and dry them when you are finished.  Synthetic brushes can stay overnight without any damage but the bristle brushes would absorb the water.

Waxed Paper that I buy at the grocery is fantastic for cutting down on clean up time.  I cover my palette with waxed paper.  I also store the unused paint on a strip of waxed paper, fold it up and insert it into a plastic bag, and store in the freezer.  My unused paint will stay fresh for a week this way.  I just made a trip to Ohio and when I got back, I got the paints out land started painting.  They were just as fresh as when I put them in a week earlier.






1 comment: